Khamis, 15 Julai 2010

Padi Fields


             My father owns some area of it at Kg. Tedong Pantai, Melaka, Malaysia. Although there have change because of technology used, but for me it is better for my father health. But when I remember my past when I was a kids, all the farmers are using the traditional way. Here I want to share my knowledge about it. Not much but it was a fact that I discover after a lots of readings and my experiences.


          The word "paddy" comes from Malay padi, meaning simply "rice". Never too sure in English whether to say "rice-paddy", "paddy" or "paddy-field", I did some web research and found people describing the first of these as a terrible error. Of course there is a common usage of "paddy" to mean the field, but cowardice compelled me to go through and change every occurrence to "paddy-field". (The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (1933) for example, gives only the meaning of "rice", and uses the word "paddy-field" without giving it a definition.) 
          
A paddy field is a flooded parcel of arable land used for growing rice and other semi aquatics crops. Rice can also be grown in dry-fields, but from the twentieth century paddy field agriculture became the dominant form of growing rice.Growing rice has an adverse environmental impact because of the large quantities of methane gas it generates.

World methane production due to paddy fields has been estimated to be in the range of 50 to 100 million tonnes per annum. This level of greenhouse gas generation is a large component of the global warming threat produced from an expanding of human population. However, recent studies have shown that methane can be significantly reduced while also boosting crop yield by draining the paddies allowing the soil to aerate, which interrupts methane production.

Tiada ulasan: